Gortnagier East (Leagan Gaeilge – Gort na gCaor Thoir): The townland of Gortnagier East is situated one kilometre south of Glenamaddy Town on the eastern side of the Kilkerrin Road in north-east County Galway. The Irish form of the townland name translates as ‘The East Field of the Berries’, gort is the Irish for field, caor means berry and thoir means east. Patrick Knight in his ‘History of the Parish of Boyounagh’ stated – “The earliest spelling I have seen of Gortnagier is that of the “Composcion Booke of Conagh” when the English scribe spelled it phonetically ‘Gortnagyer’ (Gortnagadhar) ‘The Field of Dogs’. Other forms of the townland name listed in O’Donovan’s Field Name Books are Gortnagere, Gortnageer and Gurtnageer East.
• The 1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map shows a cluster of twenty houses fitting the definition of a clachan village called Gortnagier in the west of the townland adjoining the Glenamaddy to Mount Bellew road
• Glenamaddy Turlough which is subject to seasonal flooding occupies a portion of the townland along its eastern boundary.
1656-58 Down Survey: The Down Survey name of the townland is given as Gortnagere. The owner is given as Sir Oliver St. George who was a Catholic. The unprofitable land in the townland amounted to 147 plantation acres. The profitable land came to 70 plantation acres. The 70 profitable acres were forfeited in accordance with the terms of the Comwellian Act of Settlement.
1823 – 1838 Tithe Applotment Books: Surviving documentation of the Tithe Applotment Books is in poor condition making it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to decipher the names of landholders. In so far as it can be ascertained the Catholic landholder in the townland of Gortnagier who paid the tithe (tax) levied to support the Established Church (Church of Ireland) was John Reilly. A copy of the original Down Survey record indicates that East Gornagier was not distinguished from West Gortnagier for the purpose of tithe collection but considering the information available in Griffith’s Valuation regarding the occupiers of townlands in 1856 it is reasonable to assume that John Reilly is the person associated with East Gortnagier and John Divilly with west Gortnagier in the 1830s. Protestant occupiers of agricultural holdings were exempt from this tax.
1838 O’Donovan’s Field Name Books: O’Donovan describes the townland as follows – “There is a portion of bog at the South boundary and a portion of a flooded Turlough at the East boundary. Centre of road from Moylough to Glanamadda forms the West boundary. Gurtnageer Village is situated on the East side of said road. The remainder of the land is tillage and pasture.”
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: The townland covers an area of 233 acres 2 roods 30 perches and the total rateable valuation of the land and buildings combined amounted to £58 0s 0d.
At the time of Griffith’s Valuation there were eight occupiers in the townland of Gortaganny – Browne, Reilly, O’Sullivan, Burke, Morrissy, Miscal, Mannion and Morrissey. The landlord was John W. Browne.
Adjoining Townlands: The following townlands share a border with Gortnagier East – Glenamaddy, Mountkelly, Ardoslough, Kiltullagh and Gortnagier West.
Census Records: Population and Household data for the townland of Gortnagier East:
Glenamaddy and the Irish Folklore Collections:
The article posted on this website under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab provides an overview of the folklore material submitted by Glenamaddy parishioners to the National Folklore Commission, now known as the Irish Folklore Collections. It also explains the background to the 1937 Schools’ Collection (Bailiúchán na Scol) project which has good representation from a parish perspective
The Irish Folklore Collections housed in the Folklore Department of University College Dublin contain a treasure trove of folklore material, some of which is accessible online. Both the Main Manuscript Collection and the Schools’ Collection contain a considerable number of submissions from collectors and informants who resided in the parish of Glenamaddy. The quick reference directories featured in the ‘Parish > Townlands’ section of this website complement the user-friendly search features of the dúcas.ie website and are helpful in tracking Schools’ Collection submissions associated with townlands. Submissions are categorised under – School, Teacher, Language, Volume Number, Page Number, Collector, Collector’s Townland, Informant and Informant’s Townland. Where applicable, Schools’ Collection directories showing online townland-related submissions appear at the end of the following townland posts on this website – Ballinapeaka, Ballinastack, Barna, Boyounagh More (Middletown), Bushtwon, Cashel, Classaghroe, Cloonacross, Clooncon East, Clooncon West, Cloonkeen, Cultiafadda, Eskeromullacaun (Esker), Felimspark, Glenamaddy, Gortaganny, Gortnagier, Kiltullagh, Knockauns, Lisheenaheltia, Loughpark, Meelick, Scotland, Shannagh More, Stonetown and Woodfield.
Schools’ Collection Townland-Related Quick Reference Directory:
Parish folklore submissions contained in the Schools’ Collection are also accessible online via the following links:-
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613680
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613681
Glenamaddy Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613677
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613678
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613679
Gort na Léime National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569061
Gort na Léime National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569062
Lisheenaheltia Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613675
Lisheenaheltia Boys’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613676
Glenamaddy submissions which form part of the Main Manuscript Collection are not posted online but may be examined in the reading room of the Folklore Department in U.C.D., Belfield, Dublin 4. Typed versions of some of the parish contributions contained in the Main Manuscript Collection are published under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab on this website.
Quick Reference Directory of Glenamaddy folklore submissions in the Main Manuscript Collection:-
Author: Pat Keaveny
Townlands in County Galway
1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map
Place Name Books of Galway
The Down Survey of Ireland
The Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837
Griffith Valuation – Ask About Ireland
Central Statistics Office
National Archives: Census Reports 1901/1911
Essex University: Historic Population Census Reports
Historic Environment Viewfinder
History of the Parish of Boyounagh. Patrick Knight. 1975