Cornacoyntia (Leagan Gaeilge – Corr na Cainte): The townland of Cornacoyntia is situated six kilometres north of Glenamaddy Town in north-east County Galway. The Irish word corr means a round hill, or a corner. Caint is the Irish for speech, or conversation. A plausible translation of the townland name might be ‘The Round Hill of Conversation’. In the 1830s O’Donovan translated the name as ‘The Round Hill of the Conference’. On the other hand, Fr. Conway in the early 1900s thought it meant ‘The Round Hill of the woman -probably a witch’. Other forms of the name are Cornpark, Cornspeak, Curnakanta, Curnacoynthia, Curnacoyntha and Curnacanta.
• The Enclosure in Cornacoyntia is registered with the National Monuments Service and features in the National Monuments Service Archaeological Survey Database.
• The 1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map identifies seven, or, eight homesteads mostly situated immediately south of the Glenamaddy to Creggs road.
1656-58 Down Survey: The Down Survey name of the townland is given as Cloonacrosse but that doesn’t sound correct. The owner is given as Sir Oliver St. George who was a Catholic. The unprofitable acreage in the townland amounted to 68 plantation acres and the profitable area amounted to 34 plantation acres. The 34 profitable acres were forfeited in accordance with the Cromwellian Act of Settlement.
1823 – 1838 Tithe Applotment Books: Surviving documentation of the Tithe Applotment Books is in poor condition making it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to decipher the names of landholders. In so far as it can be ascertained the only Catholic landholder in the townland of Cornacoyntia who paid the tithe (tax) levied to support the Established Church (Church of Ireland) was Patrick Morgan. Protestant occupiers of agricultural holdings were exempt from this tax.
1838 O’Donovan’s Field Name Books: O’Donovan describes the townland as follows – “About 1/2 of this townland is bog situated along the West boundary. The road from Kilnalag to Cregs passes from N.W. to S.E. through this townland having a small village W. side of it called after the townland. The remainder of the land is tillage and pasture.”
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: The townland covers an area of 131 acres 2 roods 2 perches and the total rateable valuation of the land and buildings combined amounted to £34 15s 0d.
At the time of the survey there were only four occupiers in Cornacoyntia – Morgan and Flanagan (3). The landlord was Patrick Reilly.
Adjoining Townlands: The following townlands share a border with Cornacoyntia:– Clooncon East, Curraghmulmurry (Ballynakill Parish), Cloonacross, Classaghroe and Ballinastack.
Census Records: Population and Household data for the townland of Cornacoyntia:
Glenamaddy and the Irish Folklore Collections:
The article posted on this website under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab provides an overview of the folklore material submitted by Glenamaddy parishioners to the National Folklore Commission, now known as the Irish Folklore Collections. It also explains the background to the 1937 Schools’ Collection (Bailiúchán na Scol) project which has good representation from a parish perspective
The Irish Folklore Collections housed in the Folklore Department of University College Dublin contain a treasure trove of folklore material, some of which is accessible online. Both the Main Manuscript Collection and the Schools’ Collection contain a considerable number of submissions from collectors and informants who resided in the parish of Glenamaddy. The quick reference directories featured in the ‘Parish > Townlands’ section of this website complement the user-friendly search features of the dúcas.ie website and are helpful in tracking Schools’ Collection submissions associated with townlands. Submissions are categorised under – School, Teacher, Language, Volume Number, Page Number, Collector, Collector’s Townland, Informant and Informant’s Townland. Where applicable, Schools’ Collection directories showing online townland-related submissions appear at the end of the following townland posts on this website – Ballinapeaka, Ballinastack, Barna, Boyounagh More (Middletown), Bushtwon, Cashel, Classaghroe, Cloonacross, Clooncon East, Clooncon West, Cloonkeen, Cultiafadda, Eskeromullacaun (Esker), Felimspark, Glenamaddy, Gortaganny, Gortnagier, Kiltullagh, Knockauns, Lisheenaheltia, Loughpark, Meelick, Scotland, Shannagh More, Stonetown and Woodfield.
Parish folklore submissions contained in the Schools’ Collection are also accessible online via the following links:-
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613680
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613681
Glenamaddy Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613677
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613678
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613679
Gort na Léime National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569061
Gort na Léime National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569062
Lisheenaheltia Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613675
Lisheenaheltia Boys’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613676
Glenamaddy submissions which form part of the Main Manuscript Collection are not posted online but may be examined in the reading room of the Folklore Department in U.C.D., Belfield, Dublin 4. Typed versions of some of the parish contributions contained in the Main Manuscript Collection are published under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab on this website.
Quick Reference Directory of Glenamaddy folklore submissions in the Main Manuscript Collection:-
Author: Pat Keaveny
Townlands in County Galway
1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map
Place Name Books of Galway
The Down Survey of Ireland
The Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837
Griffith Valuation – Ask About Ireland
Central Statistics Office
National Archives: Census Reports 1901/1911
Essex University: Historic Population Census Reports
Historic Environment Viewfinder