Cloonkeen (Leagan Gaeilge – Cluain Caoin): The townland of Cloonkeen is situated seven kilometres north west of Glenamaddy Town in north-east County Galway. The Irish form of the townland name translates as ‘the pleasant meadow’, cluain means meadow and caoin means pleasant, smooth, or fine. Other forms of the townland name mentioned by O’Donovan in the Field Name Books are Cloon Keen and Clonkeen.
• A clachan village called Cloonkeen Village containing fifteen houses, a Corn Kiln and a Lime Kiln are noted in O’Donovan’s 1830s’ Field Name Books. The clachan and Corn Kiln appear on the 1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map but the Lime Kiln is not mapped
• Patrick Knight who researched and published the “History of the Parish of Boyounagh” in 1975 was born in Cloonkeen.
1656-58 Down Survey: There is no online information regarding this survey on this townland.
1823 – 1838 Tithe Applotment Books: Surviving documentation of the Tithe Applotment Books is in poor condition making it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to decipher the names of landholders. In so far as it can be ascertained the Catholic landholders in the townland of Cloonkeen who paid the tithe (tax) levied to support the Established Church (Church of Ireland) were William Cunningham, Patrick Comer, Peter Murray, Patrick Dolan and Patrick Joyce. Protestant occupiers of agricultural holdings were exempt from this tax.
1838 O’Donovan’s Field Name Books: O’Donovan describes the townland as follows – “About 2/3 of this townland is bog, the portion of arable is in the N. portion of the townland in which is a village called after the townland. Centre of stream and river forms the N. and east boundaries of the townland.”
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: The townland covered an area of 241 acres 3 roods 3 perches and the total rateable valuation of the land and buildings combined amounted to £39 5s 0d.
At the time of Griffith’s Valuation there were nine occupies in the townland of Cloonkeen, namely, Corneely, Doolan (2), Joyce (4) and Murray (2). The landlord was Martin McDonnell.
Adjoining Townlands: The following townlands share a border with Cloonkeen – Meelick, Cultiafadda, Boyounagh More (Middletown), Cashel, Boyounagh Beg and Cloonmaghaura (Templetogher Parish).
Census Records: Population and Household data for the townland of Cloonkeen:
Glenamaddy and the Irish Folklore Collections:
The article posted on this website under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab provides an overview of the folklore material submitted by Glenamaddy parishioners to the National Folklore Commission, now known as the Irish Folklore Collections. It also explains the background to the 1937 Schools’ Collection (Bailiúchán na Scol) project which has good representation from a parish perspective
The Irish Folklore Collections housed in the Folklore Department of University College Dublin contain a treasure trove of folklore material, some of which is accessible online. Both the Main Manuscript Collection and the Schools’ Collection contain a considerable number of submissions from collectors and informants who resided in the parish of Glenamaddy. The quick reference directories featured in the ‘Parish > Townlands’ section of this website complement the user-friendly search features of the dúcas.ie website and are helpful in tracking Schools’ Collection submissions associated with townlands. Submissions are categorised under – School, Teacher, Language, Volume Number, Page Number, Collector, Collector’s Townland, Informant and Informant’s Townland. Where applicable, Schools’ Collection directories showing online townland-related submissions appear at the end of the following townland posts on this website – Ballinapeaka, Ballinastack, Barna, Boyounagh More (Middletown), Bushtwon, Cashel, Classaghroe, Cloonacross, Clooncon East, Clooncon West, Cloonkeen, Cultiafadda, Eskeromullacaun (Esker), Felimspark, Glenamaddy, Gortaganny, Gortnagier, Kiltullagh, Knockauns, Lisheenaheltia, Loughpark, Meelick, Scotland, Shannagh More, Stonetown and Woodfield.
Schools’ Collection Townland-Related Quick Reference Directory:
Parish folklore submissions contained in the Schools’ Collection are also accessible online via the following links:-
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613680
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613681
Glenamaddy Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613677
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613678
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613679
Gort na Léime National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569061
Gort na Léime National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569062
Lisheenaheltia Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613675
Lisheenaheltia Boys’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613676
Glenamaddy submissions which form part of the Main Manuscript Collection are not posted online but may be examined in the reading room of the Folklore Department in U.C.D., Belfield, Dublin 4. Typed versions of some of the parish contributions contained in the Main Manuscript Collection are published under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab on this website.
Quick Reference Directory of Glenamaddy folklore submissions in the Main Manuscript Collection:-
Author: Pat Keaveny
Townlands in County Galway
1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map
Place Name Books of Galway
The Down Survey of Ireland
The Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837
Griffith Valuation – Ask About Ireland
Central Statistics Office
National Archives: Census Reports 1901/1911
Essex University: Historic Population Census Reports
Historic Environment Viewfinder