Clondoyle More (Leagan Gaeilge – Cluain Dúill Mór): The townland of Clondoyle More, also known as Cloondoyle More, is situated three kilometres east of Glenamaddy in north-east County Galway. The Irish form of the townland name translates as ‘Doyle’s large meadow’, cluain means meadow, mór means large, or big and Dúill is the Irish for the surname Doyle. Other forms of the townland name mentioned by O’Donovan in the Field Name Books are Clúin Dúil Mór, Cloondoylemore, Cloondoyle, Clondowele and Cloondowell.
• A Children’s Burial Ground is located in this townland. The location is published in the National Monuments Service Archaeological Survey Database.
• Cloondoyle House appears on the 1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map and is described as follows in O’Donovan’s Field Book Names – “There is a garden, small orchard, a portion of planting and pleasure ground attached to this house and nothing else worthy of remark”.
• The 1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map indicates that there was only one dwelling in Clondoyle More at that point in time.
1656-58 Down Survey: The Down Survey name of this townland is given as Cloondowell and the owners as James Eagan and Keadagh Kelly, both Catholics. The unprofitable acreage considered to have been unprofitable amounted to 29 plantation acres and the profitable land came to 82 plantation acres. The 82 profitable acres were forfeited under the terms of the Cromwellian Settlement Act.
1823 – 1838 Tithe Applotment Books: Surviving documentation of the Tithe Applotment Books is in poor condition making it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to decipher the names of landholders. In so far as it can be ascertained the only Catholic landholder in the townland of Clondoyle More who paid the tithe (tax) levied to support the Established Church (Church of Ireland) was Bart Kelly. Protestant occupiers of agricultural holdings were exempt from this tax.
1838 O’Donovan’s Field Name Books: O’Donovan describes the townland as follows – “A portion of this townland is a Turlough at the North boundary. There are two portions of bog at the [Unable to read.] boundaries. The remainder of the land is tillage and pasture.”
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: The townland covered an area of 88 acres 2 roods 26 perches and the total rateable valuation of the land and buildings combined amounted to £38 0s 0d. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation there was only one occupier in the townland of Clondoyle More, namely Thomas Kelly. The landlord is given as Bartholomew Kelly.
Adjoining Townlands: The following townlands share a border with Clondoyle More – Ardoslough, Clondoyle Beg, Cloonlara South, Ashfield and Carrowntober East.
Census Records: Population and Household data for the townland of Clondoyle More:
Glenamaddy and the Irish Folklore Collections:
The article posted on this website under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab provides an overview of the folklore material submitted by Glenamaddy parishioners to the National Folklore Commission, now known as the Irish Folklore Collections. It also explains the background to the 1937 Schools’ Collection (Bailiúchán na Scol) project which has good representation from a parish perspective
The Irish Folklore Collections housed in the Folklore Department of University College Dublin contain a treasure trove of folklore material, some of which is accessible online. Both the Main Manuscript Collection and the Schools’ Collection contain a considerable number of submissions from collectors and informants who resided in the parish of Glenamaddy. The quick reference directories featured in the ‘Parish > Townlands’ section of this website complement the user-friendly search features of the dúcas.ie website and are helpful in tracking Schools’ Collection submissions associated with townlands. Submissions are categorised under – School, Teacher, Language, Volume Number, Page Number, Collector, Collector’s Townland, Informant and Informant’s Townland. Where applicable, Schools’ Collection directories showing online townland-related submissions appear at the end of the following townland posts on this website – Ballinapeaka, Ballinastack, Barna, Boyounagh More (Middletown), Bushtwon, Cashel, Classaghroe, Cloonacross, Clooncon East, Clooncon West, Cloonkeen, Cultiafadda, Eskeromullacaun (Esker), Felimspark, Glenamaddy, Gortaganny, Gortnagier, Kiltullagh, Knockauns, Lisheenaheltia, Loughpark, Meelick, Scotland, Shannagh More, Stonetown and Woodfield.
Parish folklore submissions contained in the Schools’ Collection are also accessible online via the following links:-
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613680
Árd Aoibhinn National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613681
Glenamaddy Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613677
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613678
Glenamaddy Boys’ National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613679
Gort na Léime National School – Part 1 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569061
Gort na Léime National School – Part 2 – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4569062
Lisheenaheltia Girls’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613675
Lisheenaheltia Boys’ National School – https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613676
Glenamaddy submissions which form part of the Main Manuscript Collection are not posted online but may be examined in the reading room of the Folklore Department in U.C.D., Belfield, Dublin 4. Typed versions of some of the parish contributions contained in the Main Manuscript Collection are published under the ‘Heritage > Folklore’ tab on this website.
Quick Reference Directory of Glenamaddy folklore submissions in the Main Manuscript Collection:-
Author: Pat Keaveny
Townlands in County Galway
1840 Historic Ordnance Survey Map
Place Name Books of Galway
The Down Survey of Ireland
The Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837
Griffith Valuation – Ask About Ireland
Central Statistics Office
National Archives: Census Reports 1901/1911
Essex University: Historic Population Census Reports
Historic Environment Viewfinder