Lisheenaheltia is a clachan village in layout. The ‘clachan’ was a cluster of small thatched houses, housing a large population, where the families were related to each other. Land was rented on a partnership basis from the grazier/ landlord. The clachan was surrounded by cultivated open infelds where oats and potatoes were sown. The infields were redistributed periodically amongst the families by the leader of the village. The outfields or commonage were divided among families. The amount of cattle determined the amount of manure available which dictated the size of infields holdings. The clachans were usually near bogs where there was a ready supply of fuel. The people of the clachan village were very skilled trades people. There were two weavers, Michael Burke and William Comer; two carpenters, Tom Hughes and Michael Mannion; one blacksmith, Pat Joyce. Johnny ‘Tuppenny’ Joyce followed on later at his forge near Cruachán an Oireachtais. A corn kiln and mill are shown on Kevin Concagh’s road in the townland of Gortaganny. A flax mill was located near Reilly’s house on the Dunmore side of Boyounagh bridge. The mill race was dug by hand and ran for some hundreds of meters before rejoining the river north of the holy well. Traces of the millrace remain today. There were three shops: Martin Mannion’s, Walter Finnegan’s and Martin Comer’s. Stonemasons of the area were Pat Ganley, Tom Joyce and William Ward. Lisheenaheltia National School was built in 1893.
Source: Lisheen Golden Mile – Its History and Hidden Treasures, 2015